Dr. Donal McKeown
Born and raised on a farm in Simcoe County, Ontario.
- Vasey Public School, Simcoe County, Ont.
- Oakwood Collegiate Inst., Toronto, Ont.
- MacMaster University, Hamilton 1952 – 53
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Guelph, Ont. 1953- 1958.
- 1957 – 1958 Dairy and Small Animal Practice at Buck Animal Hospital with Dr. Robert C. Buck, Waterloo Ontario.
- 1958 – 1974 Small Animal Practice, Friendship Animal Hospital Washington D.C., U.S.A. Co- owner and partner of Dr. William C. Ready, O.V.C. 1939 and Dr. R. Harvey Cowan O.V.C. 1949.
- 1974 – 1984 Associate Professor of Small Animal Surgery, Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph
- 1979 – 2010 Owner and founder of the Fergus Veterinary Hospital, Fergus, Ontario
- 1984 – 1994 Associate Professor and Director of Ethology in the Department of Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College, U. of G.
- 1990 – 1995 One of the founders and Vice President of Veterinary Medical Diets, Guelph, Ontario.
- 1992 – 2001 Co-founder of International Bio Institute Inc., Fergus, Ontario. (I.B.I. is a company, which tests Veterinary Drugs for Pharmaceutical Companies to obtain U.S. and Canadian Government approval).
- 1993 – 2006 Co-founder of Professional Animal Behavioral Associates. A company, which promotes advanced training methods for dogs and provides an annual three day course in Animal Behavior at the University of Guelph and manufactures and distributes the Gentle Leader® line of products in Canada.
- 1997 – 2001 Co – founder of Ontario Nutri Labs, Fergus Ont. A company, which tests dog and cat food for the Pet Food Industry. The O.N.L. facility is one the largest in North America.
- Lectured on Small Animal Surgery and Ethology, both national and internationally
- Lectured on Equine behavior and learning within Canada.
- Appeared on many local and national Radio and T.V programs
- Made presentations to the Annual British Veterinary Association in 1980, 1981, 1983, and 1989.
- Lectured on Ethology at all of the Veterinary Colleges in the U.K.
- Lecturer on Canine Ethology – Canadian Customs College, Quebec, 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981.
- Made presentations to many Veterinary Colleges in the USA.
- Made presentations to the North American Veterinary Conference and the American Animal Hospital Associations Annual meetings.
- Made presentations to numerous Veterinary and lay organizations in all Provinces of Canada.
- Contributed to four Veterinary texts, four non- scientific Veterinary books and authored numerous Veterinary journal articles.
- Past President of the Washington D.C. Veterinary Academy. The D.C. Academy serves Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C. and is one of the largest Veterinary Academy in North America.
- Past President Of The Ontario Veterinary Medical Association
- Director of the Human Animal Bond Association Of Canada
- Co-Chairman of the World Conference Human Animal Bond held in Montreal in 1992.
- Past President of the Fergus / Elora Rotary Club
- Consultant to: Canadian Customs – “Canine Detector Service”, Canadian Rescue Dogs Service, Several Canadian Police Forces, “Canine Unit
- Co-founder and past member of the board of the “Probus Club of Center Wellington”.
- Teaching Excellence Awards 1977, and 1984. Ontario Veterinary College
- Distinguished Teaching Award 1978 –Ontario Veterinary College
- Veterinary of the Year for Ontario 1989. Presented by the Ontario Veterinary Association
- Honorary Member of the Washington D.C. Academy of Veterinary Medicine.
- Recipient of the Paul Harris Fellowship, Rotary’s highest award.
- The Alumnus of Honour, University of Guelph, 2004
- The Canadian Animal Health Institute Award for Industrial Innovation and Leadership The award recognizing and honoring outstanding accomplishments in the field of Canadian animal health. July 2010.
Current Veterinary Activities:
- Professional Animal Behavior Associates Inc. (President)
- Co-Chair of the “Groves Memorial Community Hospital Fund Raising Committee”.
- Site Selection Committee for the New Groves Hospital
- The Fergus / Elora Rotary Club (all offices )
- A co- founder of the Probus Club of Center Wellington
- Married to Marion and have 4 children, 10 grandchildren and one great grandchild.
- Family, boating, travel, genealogy, and reading .